This is an enthusiast's guide for those who enjoy their 8L A3. Some aspects of the guide may apply to Volkswagen's Mk4 Golf and Bora as well as Audi's Mk1 TT.

My name is Raymond and I frequent a number of forums both local to Australia and global as rayray086. I've created this blog for me, as I'm a bit OCD in keeping all the info I need in one package. As of July 2011, my A3T is my daily driver and it is stock standard. I came out of an 8V Mk3 so there's plenty of power for me from the stock 1.8T. I'm mainly interested in the suspension and aesthetics side of things currently. I'm a part-time student currently and have no mechanical qualifications, just a passion in all things automobile.

I'll eventually use this as an outlet to document my build, so I'll be using the appropriate tags/labels to make them easy to find.

As I add info/articles/blogposts on, I hope you guys who make their way to my blog will find the information helpful! Don't be afraid to comment away either - I like getting feedback and knowing that people are reading this.

12 August, 2011

002 - eBay and problems with the car

Lately I've been spending some time checking out eBay and the stuff I can find on 8Ls.  Boy there's a lot.  I have so far bought a car-bra and HID kit (as seen in 001), spare fob-less key (to keep at home in case I accidentally leave the key in the car and it locks itself), replacement button overlay for my current key fob and a stubby antenna.  The antenna has arrived and promptly installed - very happy about the purchase, it looks great (OEM, not all glossy and in-your-face) and was super cheap.



Now I'm waiting on the key stuff and HID kit.  I'm considering a new gear knob (replacement OEM, maybe an S-Line one) and front aero wipers, but I don't really need them for a while yet.

I've owned the car now for a bit over a fortnight, and it's been absolutely fantastic to drive.  Smooth, refined, quiet, smooth... it's got a bit of poke too, and was quite fun taking it for a run on Putty Rd last Sunday - suspension was up to it but tyres weren't the best  (55 sidewall = plenty of flex!).


View Larger Map

Now it hasn't been all perfect though, but I must admit the problems I've been having are quite minor.

(1) I've started noticing more and more imperfections in the paint, but I guess having a silver car is a double-edged sword - it hides them very well but I was oblivious to them when I first walked around the car when it was at the dealership.   

(2) The fuel gauge isn't reading correctly.  I fill the car with petrol completely ('til the pump clicks) and the gauge only reads 3/4.  I've since pumped up again many times and have filled it to the brim (to the point fuel spilled out) and the gauge reads a bit over 3/4.  I've outlined the details in a thread on ozAudi so more can be read there.  I've since drove the car way past the red-line of the fuel gauge (to the point the needle goes beyond the last red-line, and another 50km more), went to fill up to the brim again and it only came to 45L.  It's not a massive problem, if anything it'll keep me from getting stranded because of no fuel!   

(3) Brake squeal.  High-pitched and almost undetectable inside the cabin at most times. 


(4) The auto-window close/open that's triggered when the lock/unlock buttons are held down on the keyfob don't always seem to work.  It seems I have to have the key pointed to the car and me not moving for it to start winding up/down.  It doesn't seem to always trigger, especially when I'm moving away from the car.  The lock/unlock works fine though, and seems to have a decent range (~10m).

(5) Stained coolant bottle.  I have a feeling it's been mixed with the inappropriate coolant at one stage in its life as the bottle has that brown-stained tint to it.  The coolant that's in it at the moment looks like G12 though, so I'm not too worried about it.  I'll buy a new coolant bottle and flush it as well as give it an oil change at 160,000km (it's about to tick over to 159,000km at the moment).   

(6) Sometimes putting it into 1st from a standstill makes a very inconspicuous clunk sound.  Perhaps clunk isn't the right word, it's a barely audible *dunk* sound.  The gear knob also gives off a weird feel when this happens, like as if a spring is decompressed.  All this occurs midway through slotting it into first.  My mate Bima said it may be a linkage thing, not gearbox-related.  At first I thought it was crunching into first, but what I'm experiencing now is extremely mild compared to crunching into a gear.  The passengers rarely hear it, and I'm the only one that feels it as I have my hand on it.  Eventually I'll go for a short-shifter kit and when I do, I'll be replacing all the bushings associated with the cable-shift for peace of mind.

So I think that's the extent of my problems so far.  I'm pretty lucky considering the cost of the car and the amount of kilometres it has.  Now I just have to keep up with the maintenance and not let it slip, and I should be able to drive this car for a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment